New year, new season, or new house, there are times when you look around your home and decide it’s time for a furniture refresh. The problem is, what are you going to do with all of your old or used furniture? It’s clunky, heavy, and awkward to handle, and if it isn’t damaged, it might still be outdated and hard to sell.
If you’re stuck staring at old, used, or unwanted furniture, don’t despair—rent a roll-off dumpster from Junk Frog, Oklahoma’s full-service roll-off dumpster rental company. At Junk Frog, we make renting a dumpster for your old furniture disposal easy. In just 3 simple steps, you can finally say adios to that armoire, sayonara to the nightstand, and hasta la vista to the old vanity you’ve hated for years.
- Schedule your drop off and we’ll deliver your dumpster to your location in the OKC metro.
- Fill ‘er up! Make sure you know what can go in a dumpster and what can’t.
- Let us know you’re done and we’ll come pick it up!
Benefits of Renting a Roll-Off Dumpster for Furniture Disposal
Disposing of old, unwanted, or used furniture in the wrong way can end up being a big problem. Furniture you want to donate needs to be in a certain condition, free of major damage with no need for repairs and no history of pest infestation, and you often have to call and schedule a furniture donation. Illegally dumping old furniture can harm your local environment and result in thousands of dollars in fines. Depending on where you live and what type of municipal or private trash collection services you have, you may be charged extra to dispose of furniture, or you may be limited to a certain number of items or a certain time when your furniture can be dumped. You may even be required to seal upholstered furniture like couches in plastic before it will be accepted by curbside collection.
All of this adds up to huge hassle and huge headaches, when all you want to do is get rid of your old furniture.
If you have old, used, or unwanted furniture you need to get rid of—large or small, several items or just a few—renting a roll-off dumpster may be your easiest, cheapest, and most convenient choice. With a roll-off dumpster delivered directly where you need it, you can load furniture at your own pace when it works for you. Once you’re done disposing, you’ll have guaranteed, scheduled removal of your furniture, even if you aren’t home for the pickup.
How much does it cost to rent a roll-off dumpster for furniture disposal?
Junk Frog is the only junk removal service in Oklahoma offering flat-rate dumpster rental pricing. All of our prices include labor and any fees necessary for dumpster rental, travel, transport, and disposal or recycling of your junk, and they’re all upfront, so you know exactly what you’ll pay. Rates are generally determined by the size of dumpster required to remove your junk, but can also be affected by the type of materials, weight, and amount of your junk. However, with 5 sizes to choose from, it’s easy to find the one that’s right for you.
Depending on which Junk Frog dumpster you need for your old furniture removal, you can expect to pay between $275 and $475 or so, flat rates that include delivery, 10 days of rental, pick-up, and hauling!
And unlike other junk removal companies, your cost doesn’t increase with each item; you pay by load (up to 3 tons), which is a lot of old, used, and unwanted furniture.
What kind of furniture can go in a dumpster?
At Junk Frog, we accept a laundry list of items, from couches, sofas, bed frames, and dressers to appliances and household junk. If you need it gone, there’s a good chance we can come get it.
It is important to remember that a dumpster is commercial equipment subject to weight limits and waste disposal regulations, and throwing in the wrong thing could result in a hefty fine. When it comes to dumpsters, it’s always better to know before you throw, so be sure to call us first if you aren’t sure about an item.
As long as it’s not hazardous, almost all of your old furniture can go in a roll-off dumpster. Items we’ll recycle, donate, or dispose of for you include:
- Bed frames
- Wall units
- China cabinets
- Dining tables
- Entertainment centers
- Outdoor/patio furniture
- Coffee tables
- Sofa beds
- Box springs
We even take office and retail furniture as well as old drained appliances and small household electronics!*
Appliances and Electronics
Most major appliances like washers, dryers, and AC units can go in a dumpster as long as they have been drained of hazardous fluids and components, including freon. If you are unable or unwilling to drain your appliances, they cannot go in a dumpster; you will need to contact a professional to remove them.
In general, electronics from individual households can be thrown in a dumpster, but larger numbers of electronics, such as from an office or commercial cleanout, typically have to be recycled as e-waste. Oklahoma is one of 25 states with electronics recycling laws that require you to dispose of electronics at either an e-waste recycling center or one of several area office supply and electronics stores, such as Office Depot, Staples, and Best Buy.
Several local non-profit organizations—including The Wireless Foundation, Goodwill, and Human-I-T—accept donations of electronics, even if they are broken. They refurbish the electronics to benefit local communities through either direct donation or from their resale.
How can I get rid of an old couch?
There’s nothing worse than having to hang on to a couch or sofa you can’t stand because you don’t know what to do with it. When it comes to disposing of an old, used, or unwanted couch, you have several options.
If your old couch or sofa is still in usable condition, you can:
- Sell it at a garage sale or online via online marketplaces like Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or OfferUp.
- Check with furniture stores about trading it in; you may get a credit toward the purchase of a new couch
- Donate it to non-profit or charitable organizations like Habitat for Humanity, Furniture Bank Association of North America (FBANA), Goodwill, or the Salvation Army. Be sure to check with your local donation site to make sure they can accept it, and some may even be willing to come pick it up from your home.
- Have it professionally cleaned; you might discover it looks and feels like new again!
- Give it away for free through social media or online classifieds such as Nextdoor, Freecycle, or Craigslist’s “Free” section
If your used couch or sofa is broken, damaged, or otherwise unusable or unsalvageable, you can:
- Take it to a local junkyard, landfill, or waste management facility. You may be able to drop it off with proof of residency or pay a fee to arrange for special pickup if you can’t take it yourself.
- Rent a roll-off dumpster, especially if you have several other large items of furniture to dispose of. Renting a roll-off dumpster is a convenient and guaranteed way to get rid of that old couch for good.
10 Tips for Loading a Roll-Off Dumpster with Old or Unwanted Furniture
Here are 10 tips for disposing of old, used, or unwanted furniture in your roll-off dumpster:
- Mix it up. We can typically dispose of your old, used, or unwanted furniture along with general refuse, junk, and other household clutter as long as it doesn’t include anything hazardous or flammable.
- Start big. When loading your roll-off dumpster with furniture, walk the largest and bulkiest items in first and distribute them evenly throughout the container. Then you can fill in the space with lighter and smaller materials.
- Don’t overfill. Make sure all materials and items stay level with the top edge of the dumpster and nothing hangs over the side or sticks out of the top.
- Take it apart (if you can). Try to dismantle your upholstered furniture like couches and sofas as much as possible. Not only does this help avoid dismantling fees, but it also makes more room in the dumpster and the landfill. This includes removing the mattress (If it’s a sofa bed), removing the upholstery, removing the legs, and disassembling the rest of the frame.
- Make it easy. Keep the walk-in doors on the dumpster unblocked for easy loading.
- Select the right dumpster size. If it’s too small, you won’t have enough room for all your items. If it’s too big, you’ll end up paying for more than you need. A small or extra-small dumpster may be perfect for two or three pieces of furniture, depending on their size, while larger sizes are better for five or more pieces of furniture.
- Choose the right spot to place and load your dumpster. Make sure it’s close enough to your home that it’s convenient to load but not too close that it blocks.
- Make more room. Break down your most oversized items before you even start loading. Even with our biggest dumpster, you’ll only have so much available space. Breaking down bulky items will help you fit more items and maximize your space.
- Go front to back. Load front to back, taking your first items all the way in and working your way back from there.
- Check first. Junk Frog can remove a whole lot of junk, both big and small, but there are some things we just can’t, and disposing of the wrong furniture in the wrong way can leave you with hefty fines. If you aren’t sure about a certain item, please give us a call at 405-444-5865 and a member of our friendly customer service team will gladly help answer your questions. Even if we can’t take something, we can often provide you with the information or contact you need to get rid of it. We stay up-to-date on all municipal regulations and waste disposal guidelines for the Oklahoma City metro area so we can provide you with the accurate information you need for proper junk removal.
Get Rid of Your Old Furniture in Oklahoma City with a Roll-Off Dumpster from Junk Frog
If you know you need furniture disposal but don’t know where to start, call Junk Frog today and our experts will help you make a plan for getting rid of old, used, or unwanted furniture. With just a little information about your project and what kind of furniture you’ll be removing, we can ensure you receive the best support possible with service that fits your needs, not ours.
Junk Frog is the Oklahoma City metro’s only junk removal service that offers flat rate junk removal pricing. All of our upfront, transparent prices include labor and any fees required for the transport and disposal or recycling of your junk. If we end up donating any of your junk, we’ll even send you a tax-deductible receipt. To find out more about your flat-rate junk removal fees, or to schedule a pickup, call us at 405-444-5865.
JUNK FROG provides RESIDENTIAL and COMMERCIAL roll-off dumpster rental and junk removal service throughout Oklahoma including Oklahoma City Metro, Norman, Edmond, Mustang, Warr Acres, The Village, Bethany, Choctaw, and surrounding areas.